Update: Memory usage reporting fixed in Analog PC Stats application

I no longer maintain this project here, please visit the new website for it to download the updated software:

http://swvincent.com/pcmeter/index.html

Thanks! -Scott.


Updated PC Meter application

It was brought to my attention a couple months ago by mnedix that the application I developed for the Analog PC Stats Meter was not reporting the correction Memory usage. I looked into it, and it turns out that the PerformanceCounter I was using in C# ties into the page file, not just physical memory. Apparently it was close enough to the physical memory used when I tested the program initially, because I never caught it. I just released an updated version of the application today that get the actual physical memory percentage used (you can download it here). It utilizes the GetPerformanceInfo Windows API to do this, using code developed by Antonio Bakula. This post at Stack Overflow is what led me to his solution. As the screenshot above shows, it’s now very close to what Windows reports. It’s a little off, maybe due to rounding, I didn’t have a lot of time to dig deeper. It’s close enough, at least for me! In the screenshot, I’ve got a couple textboxes that display physical available memory and total physical memory for troubleshooting.

While I’m posting, I want to point out it’s been approximately a year since I last posted on my blog, but I’m still here. The last year-and-a-half has been quite hectic for me, but I hope to get back into working on projects and sharing them on here soon! I’ve heard from a few people who have enjoyed my posts and used the information I’ve shared to work on their own projects and it’s been great hearing from them. Thanks!